A large, China-trade, camphor wood campaign chest with secretary Circa 1860. It retains its original four brass bail carrying handles. The sides are made of single pieces of wood. The upper section contains a drop-down, pull-out secretary drawer with cubbyholes. The lower section contains two drawers. The whole is made of well-figured camphor wood with ebonized trim and the original brass inset pulls. A few scratches that are commensurate with age. The drop-down hinge is a replacement and the bun feet were probably added about 1900.
This piece came from the collection of Hyland Granby, one of the foremost Marine dealers in the country.